Version 1.8.0 (11/16/2018)
Version 1.7.0 (04/23/2014)
- Added an experimental --fromfile option (suggested by several people.)
This may eventually be replaced or supplimented by a --fromjson option.
- Added support for BSD's CLICOLOR and CLICOLOR_FORCE environment variables.
(Suggested by Alyssa Ross)
- Use strftime() exclusively when formatting date/time to respect locale.
- Some man page fixes and cleanups curtsey of Kirill Kolyshkin
- Update BINDIR in Makefile for MacOS X -- It is not allowed to install
programs to /usr/bin on MacOS X any longer due to System Integrity
Protection (SIP) (Shawn Mehan)
- Misc patches from Jacob Wahlgren:
- Improved command line switch error reporting.
- Symbolic links not displayed if a -P pattern is active
- Missing argument error reporting fixes on long format switches.
- Fixed JSON output hanging commas (John Lane, Tad, others)
- JSON size output ignored -h/--si flags (Wagner Camarao)
- Fixed issue with malformed multibyte string handling. (Mantas
- Fixed issue where mbstowcs() fails to null terminate the string due to
improper UTF-8 encoding leading to garbage being printed. (Nick Craig-Wood)
- Found a bug where the wrong inode (and device) information would be printed
for symbolic links. (Stephan Gabert)
Version 1.6.0 (05/24/11)
- Allow user/group names up to 32 characters before clipping.
- Made -i compress XML and JSON output as much as possible by eliminating
- Added --caseinsensitive (renamed --ignore-case ala grep) flag so patterns
match without regard to case, courtesy of Jason A Donenfeld.
- Added --matchdirs option courtesy of Brian Mattern & Jason A. Donenfeld
- Fixed possible buffer overflow on large uid/gids w/o user names/group
names (Alexandre Wendling <firstname.lastname@example.org>)
- Added JSON support courtesy of Florian Sesser <email@example.com>.
- Fixed formatting error with HTML output when -L 1 specified. (Sascha Zorn
- Added file size sorting (Philipp M?ller <firstname.lastname@example.org>)
- Added '--sort[=]<name>' option, ala ls.
- Fixed OS X makefile problems (Ryan Hollis <email@example.com>)
- Fixed possible memory overflow in read_dir (path/lbuf not equal in size
to pathsize/lbufsize.) (Han Hui <firstname.lastname@example.org>)
- Fix S_ISDOOR/S_IFDOOR spelling mistake for Solaris. (Tim Mooney
- Make tree more reliably detect UTF-8 locales. (Mantas Mikulnas
<email@example.com> and others.)
- Return non-zero exit status on option errors, print usage to stdout when
not an error, add the posix '--' option terminator, Change -S description
to mean CP437 (console) output codes, not ASCII. (Ivan Shmakov
Version 1.5.3 (11/24/09)
- Re-org of code into multiple files, split HTML and Unix listdir() into
separate functions, various code cleanups and optimizations.
- Fixed a memory leak in listdir() when memory was allocated early and not
freed before function exit.
- Fixed possible buffer overflow where symbolic links are followed.
- Fixed links printing "argetm" before the name of the link when the LINK
setting for DIR_COLORS is set to target (Markus Schnalke
- More fully support dir colors -- added support for su, sg, tw, ow, & st
options (and "do" in theory).
- Use the environment variable "TREE_COLORS" instead of "LS_COLORS" for
color information if it exists.
- Added --si flag to print filesizes in SI (powers of 1000) units (Ulrich
- Added -Q to quote filenames in double quotes. Does not override -N or -q.
- Control characters are no longer printed in carrot notation, but as
backslashed octal, ala ls, except for codes 7-13 which are printed as
\a, \b, \t, \n, \v, \f and \r respectively. Spaces and backslashes are
also now backslashed as per ls, for better input to scripts unless -Q
is in use (where "'s are backslashed.) (Ujjwal Kumar)
- Added -U for unsorted listings (directory order).
- Added -c for sorting by last status change (ala ls -c).
- --dirsfirst is now a meta-sort and does not override -c, -v, -r or -t, but
is disabled by -U.
- After many requests, added the ability to process the entire tree before
emitting output. Used for the new options --du, which works like the du
command: sums the amount of space under each directory and prints a total
amount used in the report and the --prune option which will prune all empty
directories from the output (makes the -P option output much more readable.)
It should be noted that this will be slow to output when processing large
directory trees and can consume copious amounts of memory, use at your own
- Added -X option to emit the directory tree in XML format (turns colorization
- Added --timefmt option to specify the format of time display (implies -D).
Uses the strftime format.
Version 188.8.131.52 (01/22/09)
- Properly quote directories for the system command when tree is re-launched using the -R option.
- Fixed possible indentation problem if dirs[*] is not properly zeroed (Martin Nagy).
- Use strcoll() instead of strcmp() to sort files based on locale if set.
- Change "const static" to "static const" to remove some compiler warnings for Solaris (Kamaraju Kusumanchi).
- Actually use TREE_CHARSET if it's defined.
- Automatically select UTF-8 charset if TREE_CHARSET is not set, and the locale is set to *UTF-8 (overridden with --charset option.)
Version 184.108.40.206 (08/29/08)
- Set locale before checking MB_CUR_MAX.
- Added HP-NonStop platform support (Craig McDaniel <firstname.lastname@example.org>)
- Fixed to support 32 bit UID/GIDs.
- Added Solaris build options to Makefile (edit and uncomment to use). Provided by Wang Quanhong
Version 1.5.2 (06/06/08)
- Added strverscmp.c file for os's without strverscmp. Source file is
attributed to: Jean-Franois Bignolles <email@example.com>
- Try different approach to MB_CUR_MAX problem.
- Changed the argument to printit() to be signed char to avoid warnings.
Version 220.127.116.11 (06/04/08)
- Added --filelimit X option to not descend directories that have more than X number of files in them.
- Added -v option for version sorting (also called natural sorting) ala ls.
Version 18.104.22.168 (06/11/07)
- Fixed compile issues related to MB_CUR_MAX on non-linux machines.
- Removed unnecessary features.h
Version 1.5.1 (?)
- Regression in HTML output, fixed formatting issues.
Version 1.5.0 (08/15/04)
- Remove extraneous / at end of user input directory names when using -f
- List available charsets if --charset option is missing charset argument.
- Fixed --charset option processing bug.
- Fixed missing <br>'s when -i option used with -H.
- Added -h option for human readable output.
- Colorization bugfix for special files and directories (make tree behave as
Version 1.4 (02/21/02 (b1), 03/24/02 (b2), 02/06/03 (b3))
- Added -T option to change title and H1 header in HTML output.
- Added -r option to reverse alpha sort output, ala. 'ls -r'.
- '|' wildcard support added by David MacMahon <davidm@astron.Berkeley.EDU>.
- Remove extraneous '/' at the end of dirs and dir-symlinks in HTML output.
- Removed several possible overflow problems by dynamically allocating
arrays in several places.
- Better support for Locales and printing utf-8 encoded characters in
filenames (still hackish).
- Fixed -t to alphasort files with same time-stamps.
- Fixed encoding of filenames in HTML output, Kyosuke and others.
- Patches by Kyosuke Tokoro <NBG01720@nifty.ne.jp>:
- Now, runs OS/2 systems.
- Print the file attributes in 'adhrs' format for each file, instead
of the protections in 'drwxrwxrwx' format, when running the tree
on OS/2 with option -p.
- Added --charset option, to specify which character set is used for
- You can specify any IANA registered character set name. But I have
tested only following character sets:
Shift_JIS EUC-JP IBM850
UTF-8 ISO-8859-1 US-ASCII
- Now, `-S' option is equal to `--charset=IBM437'.
- When running on OS/2 systems, the default value of this option
is according to current codepage. On the other systems, no default.
- Change font-weight to font-size in CSS .VERSION.
- Change version to standard major.minor.patch format.
- Switch from artistic license to GPLv2.
Version 1.3 (02/15/99)
- Added large file support under Linux.
- Fixed crashing on missing command line arguments.
- Fixed several memory leaks
- Added --dirsfirst option to list directories first.
- Fixed formatting error when unable to open directories.
- Fixed bug in parse_dir_colors().
- Changed -I to also ignore directories.
- Added --nolinks command to turn off hyperlinks with the HTML output.
- Fixed several memory leaks in listdir().
- Some additional code cleanup in listdir().
- Some systems may define TRUE/FALSE, so don't create the enums for TRUE
and FALSE if that's the case.
- Fixed over-allocation bug in read_dir().
- Added crude beginnings of color output for HTML via CSS (Ted Tiberio
- Fixed buffer overflow problem in dircolors parsing.
- Fixed recursive symlink detection.
- Added --inodes and --device options.
- Added --noreport option.
Version 1.2 (01/05/97)
- Fixed long pathname problem by dynamically allocating the path.
- Added recursive symlink detection.
- Added --help and --version options.
- When -C is used and LS_COLORS is undefined, tree uses a default color
scheme (thus -C always forces color output now).
- Added -S to show ASCII tree lines (Gerald Scheidl)
- Made tree more portable (Guido Socher and others)
Following options curtsey of Francesc Rocher:
- Added -o <filename> to redirect the output.
- Added -H <baseHRef> to print the tree in HTML format.
- Added -L to set the maximum level of directories to print.
- Added -R to recursively restart the search at the level given by `-L'
option (adding as well `-o 00Tree.html').
Version 1.1 (07/09/96)
- Added -D to print the date of the last modification.
- Added -t option to sort by last modification time (ala ls -t).
- Added -I <pattern>, simular to the -P option except tree does not print
those files which match the pattern.
- Made tree print non-printable characters in filenames in standard unix
- Added -N option to make tree print filenames without any processing.
- Added -q option to make tree print non-printable characters in filenames
as question marks.
- Added `|' to -F output and made it only print character type after the
link on sym-links, not on the symlink name itself.
- Added -u option to display username/uid, and -g option to display group
- Fully (pass the salt) implemented dircolors support.
Version 1.0 (??/??/90?)
- Made some changes to the Makefile to insure proper installation and for
multi-architecture support and a bug-fix.
- Made root directory colorized if dircolors is enabled.
- Put 's around permission and size info, 'cause I think it looks better.
- Added -A option to enable ANSI-lines hack.
- Added some sanity checks for dircolors support.
- Added -P <pattern> to list only those files that match the wildcard
given in <pattern>.
- Fixed error where relative symbolic links to directories would not be
followed when the -l option was used.
- Made uid 0 the same as anyone else (-a was default for uid 0)
- Added -x directive to stay on one filesystem (ala find -xdev).
- The original, a model of perfection...