Rededication Weekend - Notre
Dame V. Georgia Tech
- The pep rally for the Georgia Tech game, at 7:00 p.m.,
Friday, September 5, will be held in Notre Dame Stadium,
seating will be on the west side, with entrance at Gate D
and E. Sections have specifically been reserved for
- A rededication breakfast hosted by athletic director
Mike Wadsworth will be held at 8:30 p.m. Saturday morning
(Sep. 6) on the mezzanine level of the Stadium, followed
by a ribbon-cutting ceremony at approximately 10:00 a.m.
just north of the Stadium for invited guests and VIPs.
- Prior to the game, the '97 team will run through a
tunnel comprised of former Irish players. Every former
Notre Dame football player was offered the opportunity to
purchase tickets for the Georgia Tech contest. At least
250 former players are expected to form the tunnel.
- Participating in the coin toss before the
game will be:
- Andrew J. McKenna, chairperson of the
University's Board of Trustees.
- Arthur J. Decio, chairperson of the Athletic
Affairs Committee of the Board of Trustees
- Rev. Edward A. Malloy, C.S.C., president of
- Nathan O. Hatch, University provost
- Rev. E. William Beauchamp, C.S.C., University
executive vice president and chairperson of the
Faculty Board on Athletics
- Michael A. Wadsworth, University director of
- Matthew T. Griffin, student body president
- Robert E. Franken, president of the Notre Dame
- Martin J. Allen, president of the Notre Dame
National Monogram Club.
- In addition, 28 members of the Notre Dame National
Monogram Club Board of Directors will be on the field for
- An official flip coin for the rededication game has
been designed by Enviromint in Mt. Prospect, Ill. Flip
coins will be used for all other home games as well and
replicas are available for sale by calling 800-299-MINT.
- In addition to former players, others
invited to take part in the rededication festivities
- Former head coaches and their families
- Members of the Knute Rockne family
- Notre Dame Alumni Club presidents
- Board members of the Notre Dame National
- The Board of Trustees
- Student body president and class officers
- Former athletic directors
- Current members of the Alumni Board
- Former University president Rev. Theodore M.
- Former Alumni Association presidents
- Executives from general contractor Casteel
Construction Corp. of South Bend and architect
Ellerbe-Becket, Inc. of Kansas City
- The official game program for the Notre Dame-Georgia
Tech game will be available beginning Wednesday,
September 3. It will include two special sections, one of
them a 16-page full-color section detailing the two-year
Stadium expansion project, the other a 24-page
reproduction of the game program from the original
dedication game for Notre Dame Stadium held October 11,
1930. The program sells for $8 each.
- A specially designed rededication logo has been
produced and is available for media use (available
through Sports Information Department).
- In cooperation with the Notre Dame Alumni Association,
a coffee-table book titled "This Historic
Ground" is being produced to serve as the definitive
pictorial essay of the Stadium rededication. The 62-page
piece will include shots from the September 6 Notre
Dame-Georgia Tech game. "This Historic Ground"
sells for $39.95, plus $5.95 each shipping and handling
(and 5 percent sales tax for Indiana residents). It can
be ordered by calling 888-258-6347. Delivery by Christmas
is guaranteed on orders received by September 15, 1997.
- A video titled "Expanding A Tradition -- Notre
Dame Stadium" is being produced by Golden Dome
Productions and will be available in October. It's 40
minutes in length and includes Stadium history, archival
footage, new construction footage and interviews. It
sells for $19.95 (plus $5 for shipping and handling) and
can be ordered by calling 800-647-4641.