Management 610 - Project Guide
In Depth Comprehensive Case Analysis
The semester project is to develop an in-depth strategic profile of a large firm. The profile will consist of a detailed written company analysis including an update on the companyís current strategic position. The class will be divided into teams of two to three students.
You may choose one of the following three case studies as a basis for your semester project:
The project requires you to select and apply strategic management models to the analysis of an actual firm. Your will be evaluated on the appropriate selection and use of models.
The project should include the following sections:
- Introduction and overview ñ an introduction to your report, methodology, etc. (1-2 pages)
- Company history ñ A description of the major historical events that shaped the present company (1-2 pages).
- Industry situation ñ An overview and analysis of the macroenvironment and competitive environment. This section should note any threats or opportunities facing the firm presently.
- Strategic group profile ñ a brief description of the competitors, their strategies and strengths and weakness.
- Strategic resource analysis ñ a review of the internal operation of the company noting areas in the value chain that serve or may serve as distinctive competencies, also note areas of weakness at the at present.
- Review of strategy ñ Review the companyís domestic and international strategies. Where appropriate, particular attention should be made to the scope and sequence of international activities. This section should also highlight any cooperative strategies the firm has chosen.
- Forecast of future performance ñ Your analysis of the companyís expected future performance.
- Recommendations ñ Based on your observations, what should your company do to be more competitive in the future.
- References ñ A detailed list of all materials used in compiling your (Variety is valued, as is some use of the Internet).
- Appendices ñ Additional documents you may choose to strengthen or support your analysis, e.g., ratio analysis, benchmarking, positioning diagrams, etc. Copies of web pages used in support of your project should be included).
Your report must be submitted both in writing and on diskette (IBM Microsoft Word or Word Perfect).
Project evaluation and grading
Your analysis will be graded using 5 criteria (not equally weighted):
- Coverage -- To what extent did your teamís project cover the course material
- Strength of analysis --To what extent did your team properly analyze the company and its industry.
- Quality of recommendations -- To what extent were your recommendations consistent with the strategic management model.
- Quality of Research/References ñ How thorough were your references? To what extent were your references properly used?
- Writing style ñ Was the report professionally written and packaged?
Typical milestones in a project of this nature include (there may be several other ways to accomplish this project):
- Selecting a team
- Establishing a group process
- Regular meeting schedule
- Division of responsibilities
- Schedule that assures early completion of the project
- Selection of a company.
- Media search ñ early identification of resources (donít forget the Internet).
- Read and review articles ñ take notes.
- Develop a more detailed outline of the project.
- Draft sections of the project per the detailed outline.
- Have your professor review completed sections of project and your detailed outline for feedback.
- Compile a complete first draft.
- Thoroughly edit your project.
- Package your project so that it has a professional appearance.
- Submit your final project including a diskette.
Main | Biography | Courses | Publications | Links